Jan 26, 2011

My Top 3 Neutral Palettes!

When it comes to eyeshadow I love wearing neutral colours. Although some people may find them boring, I find you can do so much with them.I have so many neutral eyeshadow palettes since it is practically all I wear, and these are my top 3 favorite ones I would recommend for you girls!

#3- CoverGirl - Shimmering Sands

Is a trio considered palette? I do not care if it is or not, I worship this trio more than I worship some of my most expensive palettes. If you are looking for the perfect everyday colours from the drugstore, these are them! If you want to use all of the colours to create a look I would suggest the middle colour as the lid colour, the darkest one is great for the crease or/and the outer corner, and the lightest colour is perfect as the inner corner or/and the brow bone highlight. If you simply want to use one colour, all of them work great as lid colours. this palette is so versatile which is pretty unbelievable considering there are only 3 colours. This winter, I went away on a one week vacation with this trio and it was more than enough for me, I lost no time putting make up because it provides a quick application and also provides many different looks. The best part? This little trio hardly takes up any space in your suitcase or purse.

Now, lets talk applicator. The trio comes with a dow foot applicator. I always take those out of my palettes and simply use my own make up brushes, but for some reason I seem to only use the dow foot applicator that came with it for this trio. I think it might be because both sides of the applicator have different shapes. I always use the pointy side for my lid colours and the curved side for my highlight colour.

The only down side this trio has is that CoverGirl has been known for testing on animals :(. Companies who do this break my heart, and I try to avoid them. When I bought this trio I was not aware of this yet. Seeing as it was one of my beginner make up products, I didn't really know a lot about the details of make up companies. If I were to finish this trio, would I go and buy it again? That would be a very hard situation for me. This is one of my go to eye shadows I use and I love love love this product, but I also don't want to support a company that tests on animals, so for the moment my answer is: I don't know. I guess I'll decide that when the time comes. Hopefully by then CoverGirl will finally open their eyes and have changed their testing methods like most of the other drugstore brands!

If it wasn't for the fact that CoverGirl tests on animals, this product would be in second place. I love this trio because it gives you so many different looks with three colours. I feel as if these colours could work so well on most skin tones, and since it is from the drugstore its is more than affordable.

#2- E.L.F. - Beautybook Neutral Eye Edition



One of my favorite beauty websites to browse through is EyesLipsFace.com. The company has so many products offered at inexpensive prices, you can find some great make up products from them for a 1-5 dollar range. The only problem I have with the company is that their products are either a hit or miss. & when you hit, you hit real good. This palette is definitely a hit, you can buy it for $5 at Target, but seeing as I live in Canada, I bought mine for about $7 at Zellers (yes, we Canadians get overpriced with EVERYTHING). This palette that contains 12 super pigmented colours. Even if this palette has a retail value of $30 I would buy it, just because it is of such great quality and you get so much for such a little price!

The main reason why this palette is in the top three is not only because it is so affordable, but because 4 of its colours can create one of my favorite looks (the picture does not even give it justice compare to what it would look like in natural light!):

The colours I used (pretty simple) are the 4 pans from the second row down. I use the second colour in the row on half my lid, the one on its right on the other half, the dark burgundy (yes, its a purple toned burgundy) at the end as my crease colour and the light beigeish white colour on the right as my inner tear duck and highlight colour. Right there, for 5-7 dollars, you get a beautiful pink wearable look. I am completely obsessed with these 4 colours & whenever I go out I for a supper or movie I will create this in less than 3 minutes and get so many compliments for such a simple and inexpensive procedure.

If E.L.F products are available near you or you are willing to purchase it online, go for it, you will not regret it! It is so inexpensive and has so much to offer. These are some of the most pigmented eye shadows I own. Also, I was looking on the E.L.F website and noticed that they stopped selling this exact beauty book. They are still selling their Beauty Encyclopedias, which are the exact same things as Beautybooks but they come with two creme eyeshadows instead of a mirror and the cover is different. If you get the Beauty Encyclopedia and you want the some product im talking about, it is named the Basic Eye Edition. The reason why I own the Beautybook is because that is all that is being sold in Canada, and if you specifically want it I still see them in stores although they are not on the website.

 #1- Too Faced - Natural Eye

Sadly, this is not as inexpensive as my top 3 and top 2. Although the price is way higher than those two, I can't get enough of this palette. I bought this palette at a Canadian Sephora for $44, but if you live in America it will only cost you $35 (again, overpriced...). First of all, the colour named "Silk Teddy" is probably one of the nicest colours that can be found in my make up collection. It is for sure going to be the first colour on which I will hit pan, and as soon as I do will be going straight to Sephora and buying myself the duo in which the colour can be found. "Silk Teddy" is a beautiiiful colour, but the palette would not win first place in my top 3 for a single colour. ALL the colours in this palette are beautiful, pigmented, wearable, durable and, did I mention beautiful? The finish of the eye shadows on my lid are perfect, there is seriously no other word for it.

I only bought this palette a couple of weeks ago, but I have been looking into buying it for months. The only thing holding me back from purchasing it for so long was that I believed that I was crazy enough to somehow get a hold of an Urban Decay Naked Palette, which I have literally been dreaming about for the past 5 months or so. Once I finally put it through my head that it was not going to happen in the near future, this Too Faced palette became my consolation prize. A really great consolation prize. I am quite glad that I wasn't able to get the Naked Palette because I would have probably never gotten this one. (I am still interested in the naked palette though...)

I would love to give you a specific look with this palette just like I did with my two previous ones, but the possibilities are, no jokes, endless. So far, every look I have made with the palette involved "Silk Teddy". I also love using "Push-up", I would consider it my second favorite colour (too bad the pan is MUCH smaller). Seeing as I find "Velvet Revolver" too light and "Sexpresso" too dark for my crease, I have been mixing both and creating the perfect crease colour. You can really play around with this palette!

The packaging of the palette has a little pull out drawer at the bottom of the box in which you can find a dow foot applicator with a liner brush on the other end. I have not used either yet, but I think the liner brush may be useful for under the eye! Inside the cover, you can find little cue cards with different looks for different occasions that can be created using the colours from the palette. I think the looks they provide are cute, but I personally rather create my own unique ones. I really can't think of a single negative thing to say about this palette. The only negative aspect is that I am so obsessed with it that I am probably going to use up this palette very fast and once I do I will run to Sephora and buy myself a new one!


 

0 comments:

Post a Comment